Sunday, October 23, 2005

Day Two...Host Family

I said a sad goodbye today to my host family. I did not want to leave, and I don`t think that they wanted to leave me! I had such a great time, and I wish I could have spent more time with them.

I woke up early after sleeping very very well in the apartment. I think it was the best sleep I have had here! I attempted the shower again, made a mess again, and headed across the street for breakfast. There was another feast spread out for me (seriously, I don`t know how they eat this much and stay so tiny!). I had miso soup, rice, seaweed (yum! no, really!), potatoes and an apple. They kept trying to get me to eat more and I thought I was going to explode. You might not be able to recognize me when I come home!

I set out with Matsumura after breakfast to go to Kanwazawa. It is one of the oldest cities in Japan and we had to drive an hour and a half to get there. We stopped at the beach and saw the Japanese Sea. It was very beautiful, even though it was raining. We went into another gas station that smelled like fish and got a snack.

The city is famous for its old castles of the fuedal lords and the gardens. We went through a castle that was hundreds of years old. It had a moat and all this other cool stuff to keep the bad guys out! You read about this, but I never expected to see it! We walked through these amazing gardens that were huge. I guess there are three famous gardens in Japan, and this was one of them.

After walking forever, we went to a swanky mall. They had Gucci and Louis Vuitton and all these other fancy stores. So I bought a lot at each store! Kidding! Ha! We ate lunch at a noodle resturant where I had a hard time telling him I don`t eat meat. When we finally figured it out I ate a giant bowl of Ramen Noodle. In Japan it is okay to slurp, so we slurped away! It was a noisy lunch! We then shopped in the basement where they sold cakes, candy and fancy teas. I bought something for Mrs. Trentenelli, but supposedly, you can`t bring this item into the states, so if I get put in jail after going through customs, you need to come and get me, Allison!

We took the mountain route instead of the sea this time, and I got a little car sick. Maybe it wasn`t the best plan! But, I had some green tea at their house, said my goodbyes and all was better. I was sad to leave them, and I know they felt the same way. We exchanged addresses so I can send picture! I loved my home stay! :)

Now I am about to go plan our group presentation for when we return in Tokyo. With 20 people and lots of ideas, I bet there will be some fighting! Shoot! Four more days and I come home...this trip has flown by! And I am LOVING every minute of it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy Root said...

Hi, Rachele. I can't wait to see you on Tuesday! I can't believe you had to watch them eat the whole fish. They served us spaghetti to eat. It had pork in it, but at least they tried! I miss you and hope to shop with you again soon!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Jenny Hunter said...

I can't wait until you get back next week! It was so cool to talk to you last week. My class was so excited listening to my end of the conversation and they made me repeat as much as I could word for word. I am impressed at how much you have done, and a bit jealous that I can't be there too. See you soon, and don't forget your witch's hat for Monday.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Marisa said...

i'm glad that your trip is going good, but school is going verrry slow! can't wait until you get back!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Hi Rachele,
Thanks for sharing your incredible trip to Japan with us! I can't wait to hear more about it in person. I am proud to be a part of your life. See you soon, love ya, mom

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought i would let you know that the 6th block class average is a high 54%. All looking forward to you coming back on monday.

The sub says there will be a test on monday. is this true.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Tara said...

hey.. good news. Me and mrs.B are on a new understanding! she even wrote a nice comment on my progress report. poor me my grade is suffering bc of my few weeks of fooling around. but for the first time i love the book we are reading!! its soo good. ( the great gatsby if u forgot ) haha Mrs. B has a ping pong table and we tried to talk her into letting us party there as a celebration to you coming back but she said no. figures. well see you soon! cant wait!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home