Saturday, September 03, 2005

Where is the Literature???

I will be participating in classes and seminars while I am in Japan. I received a notice about some of the ones I can attend on my first days in Tokyo. I signed up for two so far and am very excited for them. I will be taking a class about the role of women in Japan (which I am hoping I will be able to apply to the reading of literature and the portrayal of women in this literature) and a class about Japanese art forms. They both look like they will be very worthwhile, however, I am disappointed to see that there is nothing being offered in literature yet. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to sign up for something in that area one of the days I am there.

Descriptions of classes I have signed up for so far in Tokyo:

Art Education Workshop: Introduction to hands-on activities of Japanese traditional paper work, including discussion of current issues on art education in Japanese schools.

Women's Status: A presentation and discussion on women's status in Japan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss. Alpine,

The site looks great and everything is very intresting. I don't know why you would want to go learn on vacation, but i geuss if thats what you want to do go ahead. I was wondering how you are going to take japanise classes. don't they speak japanise? I hope you have a good trip and everything goes well. As for the special requests from japan, i would like to see a picture of a japanese classroom to see if there is any difference in the way they are set up, or what is on the walls.

~Derek D.~

6:44 PM  
Blogger Miss Alpine said...

Derek,
Thanks so much for your comment. Sadly, I don't know Japanese (and don't think I can learn enough of it in time!), but I will try to pick some up while I am there to share when I get back. I believe that a lot of the students can speak English fairly well so we can communicate that way. I promise to take some pictures of the classrooms, especially high school ones! :)
Miss Alpine

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home