Monday, September 12, 2005

New friends from all over the United States....

Wow! I am officially ready for my trip. I’m so excited! The Fulbright organizers set up a list serve for everyone who is participating in the Japan trip. I have been hooked to the Internet for the past two days reading all the e-mails from my new friends whom I will be spending three weeks with very soon!

Everyone sounds so great and friendly. There are teachers from all over the United States including Alaska, Hawaii and Louisiana (it’s very interesting to that teacher’s story about the hurricane and her struggle to leave at a time of great need). I believe that I am going to learn a lot from this trip both from immersing myself into the culture of Japan and from the others teachers participating. I can’t get over this unbelievable opportunity that I have to travel to another country and work with educators from all over! I am so greatly for the trip and I haven’t even left yet. I think it might be hard to get me back on the plane in the end!

Through the list serve I have not only begun to meet people, but I have learned a lot more about the trip through word of mouth. One of the main things that everyone is talking about is our free days and nights. We have some time to explore the city and possibly go on an overnight trip. Many teachers are planning a trip to Hiroshima, Disney Japan or Mount Fuji, but I think that I will find enough to do in Tokyo during that time. I really want to go to a baseball game (and met another teacher who is my age- yay, there are younger teachers going!- who wants to go to a game also). I am sure there will be plenty to explore in Tokyo. However, I’m thinking of going to a travel agent to see if there are any day trips that would be fun to go on.

What do you all think? Do you have any suggestions for places to visit? Does anyone know any friends that live near Tokyo that I could meet up with? What would you do if you have free days in Japan? Share your thoughts with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home